Special Audiences

We understand no two applicants are the same and not every applicant fits neatly into the category of freshmen or transfer student. That’s why we’ll consider your specific circumstances through an application process developed just for you.

Concurrent Enrollment

You can enroll at Maryland even before you graduate from high school. We allow talented high school seniors to take up to two courses, or seven credits, during the fall and spring semesters or during the summer. We’re looking for students who’ve demonstrated exceptional performance and ability in a rigorous high school program.

To apply, submit a completed application and application fee, high school transcript, essay explaining why you’re interested in attending Maryland concurrently, a letter of recommendation from your high school, and a letter of permission from your parents or legal guardians. You also must live within commuting distance. For best consideration, be sure to meet the following application deadlines:

Spring: Jan. 2
Summer: May 1
Fall: Aug. 1

General Education Development (GED)

If you did not graduate from a regionally accredited high school, then submit results of the Tests of General Education Development, along with academic letters of recommendation, an essay and SAT scores.

Golden ID Program >

If you are 60 or older and, a legal resident of the state of Maryland and retired, the University of Maryland makes available to you courses and various services. If admitted to the university, you can register on a space-available basis for credit courses as a regular or special student in any session. You must pay an administrative fee for each semester registered.

Home-schooled Students

If you’ve been home-schooled, you should provide with your completed application a transcript with the following: course descriptions, books used, methods of evaluation and grades received (credit contracts). You should meet the same minimum high school course requirements expected of all applicants; your SAT and/or ACT scores will be strongly considered in the review of your application.

Please also include general information about your home schooling program or agency and a letter of recommendation from an academic professional as well as the home schooling teacher/parent. If you’ve taken college-level courses, you should also include an official college transcript with your application.


If you are a transfer applicant without a bachelor’s degree and wish to apply for admission as a nondegree-seeking student, you should follow the transfer application instructions. Please be sure to indicate "nondegree seeking" on the application.

You must submit a completed application form, official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended and the application fee. You will be reviewed under the same standards for admission as degree-seeking students. If you have already completed a bachelor’s degree, transcripts are not required; however, since you may need to demonstrate that you have met prerequisites for courses, it is a good idea to have one available to advisors. Admitted non-degree seeking students register on a space-available basis beginning on the first day of class.

If you wish to enroll for one semester as a visiting student and transfer the course work back to your home institution, you must submit the transfer application, official transcript and and a letter of permission from an academic advisor or dean at your home institution.


If you are a transfer student with a bachelor’s degree and wish to apply for admission as a nondegree-seeking student, follow the transfer application instructions with the following exception: If you have earned your bachelor’s degree in the United States, you do not need to submit college transcripts.

Veterans >

Thank you for your service. As a veteran, you face unique challenges navigating the admission process, and we want to support you through it. At the University of Maryland, you are considered a veteran if you’re currently enlisted or have served in the U.S. armed forces or one of its reserve units. We are committed to helping you continue your education.

Your Admission Representative Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Connecticut Delaware Delaware District of Columbia District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Puerto Rico Virgin Islands International