Maryland Transfer Advantage Program
The Maryland Transfer Advantage Program makes it easy to transfer from some of the state’s most popular community colleges and earn a bachelor’s degree at the University of Maryland.
The participating community colleges are:
- Anne Arundel Community College
- College of Southern Maryland
- Montgomery College
- Prince George’s Community College
This program is designed for community college students who intend to complete a bachelor’s degree at the University of Maryland. Students participate in the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program while completing a program at the community college. To participate in the program, students must complete an MTAP application online by June 1 for fall or November 15 for the spring.
Please note: To be eligible for MTAP, students must have graduated from high school and be enrolled at one of the four partner community colleges.
- Complete your program at one of four community colleges while planning to transfer to UMD
- Prepare for successful completion of a bachelor’s degree at UMD while attending community college
- Participate in transfer advising activities and opportunities to take UMD courses at a reduced tuition while enrolled at the community college
- Benefit from guaranteed admission to UMD upon successful completion of the program and submission of a transfer application to the university by the priority deadline
MTAP Completion Requirements
- Complete 30 college credit hours or an associate’s degree or transfer studies certificate from a MTAP partner community college
- Complete Fundamental Studies Academic Writing and Mathematics
- Complete MTAP requirements with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or a B average; all previous institutions attended and current community college transcripts will be considered to meet cumulative GPA requirements of MTAP
- Work closely with your community college counselor in order to ensure you complete the above MTAP requirements and meet the program’s guidelines at your college
- Apply to transfer to UMD by the priority application deadline
Taking a class at the University of Maryland through MTAP
Once students are accepted to MTAP, they are eligible to enroll in a course at the University of Maryland. In order to register for a course, the student has to complete and submit a Course Interest Survey for concurrent enrollment by the deadline indicated at the top of the form; all courses count toward a student’s overall academic performance once they transfer. Students that take advantage of the course enrollment option are able to do the following:
- Explore courses at UMD that are currently not offered at their community college.
- As a MTAP participant, receive a 25% course-tuition scholarship for one UMD course per term (not to exceed 9 total credits) offered at College Park or at The Universities at Shady Grove.
Please note: MTAP participants should register for courses using the CIS form, which should be submitted to the MTAP representatives. MTAP students cannot register themselves for courses. Doing so will result in being dropped from classes, and possible financial penalties.
For more information check out our Maryland Transfer Advantage Program frequently asked questions.
Useful links for the Maryland Transfer Advantage student
- MTAP Online Application
- Video Tutorial on completing the online application
- MTAP Course Interest Survey
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Majors at UMD
- Four-year Plans
- Limited Enrollment Programs
- Transfer Credit Services allows you to investigate how courses taken at another institution will transfer to the UMD
- The Articulation system for Maryland Colleges and University (ARTSYS) gives information on how courses from any Maryland college or university will transfer to the UMD
- The UMD Schedule of Classes lists all currently offered courses, course descriptions and course pre-requisites
- Pre-transfer Advising
The application for Fall 2015 participation in the MTAP program is now available until June 1, 2015. For all students who apply by the June 1 deadline, you will receive a decision in 4-6 weeks.
For students interested in completing an application for participation in MTAP for Spring 2016, the application will be available in mid-September and is due by November 15.