Maryland Transfer Advantage Program
The Maryland Transfer Advantage Program makes it easy to transfer from some of the state’s most popular community colleges and earn a bachelor’s degree at the University of Maryland.
The participating community colleges are:
- Anne Arundel Community College
- College of Southern Maryland
- Montgomery College
- Prince George’s Community College
This program is designed for community college students who intend to complete a bachelor’s degree at the University of Maryland. Students participate in the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program while completing a program at the community college.
Please note: To be eligible for MTAP, students must have graduated from high school and be enrolled at one of the four partner community colleges.
- Complete your program at one of four community colleges while planning to transfer to UMD
- Prepare for successful completion of a bachelor’s degree at UMD while attending community college
- Participate in transfer advising activities and opportunities to take UMD courses at a reduced tuition while enrolled at the community college
- Benefit from guaranteed admission to UMD upon successful completion of the program and submission of a transfer application to the university
MTAP Completion Requirements
- Complete 30 college credit hours or an associate’s degree or transfer studies certificate from a MTAP partner community college
- Complete Fundamental Studies English and mathematics
- Complete MTAP requirements with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or a B average; all previous institutions attended and current community college transcripts will be considered to meet cumulative GPA requirements of MTAP
- Work closely with your community college counselor in order to ensure you complete the above MTAP requirements and meet the program’s guidelines at your college
- Apply to transfer to UMD by the priority application deadline
Taking a class at the University of Maryland through MTAP
Maryland Transfer Advantage Program students must be accepted into MTAP and have completed 15 credits at a partner community college before they have the option to submit a course interest survey for concurrent enrollment. Students that take advantage of the course enrollment option are able to do the following:
- Explore courses at UMD that are currently not offered at their community college
- Receive a 25% course-tuition scholarship for one UMD course per term (not to exceed 9 total credits) offered at College Park or at The Universities at Shady Grove
For more information check out our Maryland Transfer Advantage Program frequently asked questions.
Useful links for the Maryland Transfer Advantage student
- MTAP Online Application
- Video Tutorial on completing the online application
- MTAP Course Interest Survey
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Majors at UMD
- Four-year Plans
- Limited Enrollment Programs
- The Transfer Credit Center allows you to investigate how courses taken at another institution will transfer to the UMD
- The Articulation system for Maryland Colleges and University (ARTSYS) gives information on how courses from any Maryland college or university will transfer to the UMD
- The UMD Schedule of Classes lists all currently offered courses, course descriptions and course pre-requisites
- Pre-transfer Advising
The MTAP application for the November 15, 2013 deadline is now available. After the deadline the application will be inaccessible.
You can expect to receive notification of your application status 6-8 weeks after the deadline.
The next application deadline for new MTAP participants will be June 1, 2014.