International Applicants

We’re committed to enrolling a diverse student body from around the globe. As part of that commitment, we seek to enroll international students who demonstrate strong academic performance with records suggesting potential for success at Maryland.

For international students, the Admission Committee will also consider factors such as TOEFL/IELTS scores, national education system and types of institutions attended.

Non-native English Speakers >

If English isn’t your native language—regardless of your citizenship—you must provide the university with verification of your proficiency in English. Have an official report of your scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by the appropriate application date. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will consider all materials submitted in the application package to determine your level of English proficiency.

Non-U.S. Academic Credentials


If you have non-U.S. academic credentials, provide all academic records—secondary and college—in the original language with a certified English translation. If you attended secondary school outside of the United States, you must provide, where appropriate, official results and certificate of completion from a national secondary school examination (such as the GCSE or Baccalaureate).

Transfer Students

If you have non-U.S. academic credentials, provide all academic records—all post-secondary institutions—in the original language with a certified English translation. To receive transfer credits, the University of Maryland requires you to submit catalog descriptions or syllabi of your coursework.  Course syllabi and descriptions must be translated from the original language into English and certified by a professional translator. The transcripts should include all university-level course work completed to date, including current term in progress. For more information about transfer credit visit

Financial Certification >

If you hold or intend to seek an F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor visa, you must complete the Certification of Finances, including providing bank statements that demonstrate sufficient funds to cover these expenses.

Visas >

If you hold a nonimmigrant visa other than F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor, you must submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and visa stamp.

The University of Maryland is ranked No. 38 in the Academic Ranking of World Universities and has more than 4,800 international students.

Your Admission Representative Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Connecticut Delaware Delaware District of Columbia District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Puerto Rico Virgin Islands International