Transfer Application Checklist
Important Update: The regular transfer application for the June 1 deadline has passed. Due to the increased volume of transfer applications we are receiving for the fall, there are space limitations. We strongly encourage you to apply for the next upcoming transfer application deadline of August 1 for the Spring 2016 academic term.
1. The completed online application for undergraduate admission. This includes an essay describing why you wish to transfer to Maryland at this time and explaining academic challenges and/or future goals. Your essay should be no more than 300 words. All additional application materials should be postmarked by the appropriate deadline.
2. A nonrefundable application fee of $65, sent with your application. If you apply on the Web, you may pay online with a credit card (we accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover) or be billed by the university separately. Our website is protected by Verisign. You may also mail your nonrefundable application fee (payable to the University of Maryland). Please include your name and birth date on the check. Sorry, we cannot honor debit cards or cash.
3. An official copy of all of your college transcripts, sent directly from the registrar(s) of all former college(s). A final official transcript must also be sent upon completion of any courses in progress. The University of Maryland accepts transfer credits taken only from regionally accredited institutions. Maryland’s Transfer Credit Services will determine the acceptance of credit after the university extends an offer of admission.
International students: Official transcripts must be sent by those institutions in the native language with certified English translations.
4. An official copy of your high school transcript, as well as official SAT and/or ACT scores, if you have completed fewer than 30 semester or 45 quarter hours at the time of application. Official copies of your transcripts should be sent directly from your high school. SAT and/or ACT scores should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service (SAT code for Maryland is 5814) or the ACT Program (ACT code for Maryland is 1746).
International students: Secondary school transcripts should be sent in the native language with a certified English translation.
5. Optional: A resume or statement of academic and extracurricular activities.
6. Optional: A letter of recommendation. While you are not required to submit a letter of recommendation, you may use the recommendation feature in the online application to designate an individual to recommend you.
Transfer students are high school graduates who completed at least 12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours at a regionally accredited college or university.